Size Matters: What size home is right for you
A home that's too big cost more through higher energy, taxes, insurance, maintenance not to mention a payment that's too big. A home that's too small can create a stressful, cramped living situation and could lead to a fast trip of putting it up for sale and building another one. When weighing it out start with the realities:
- Budget - Have a sit down with your lender. Go over your monthly income vs your monthly obligations and come up with a sensible budget that doesn't have you staying home every Friday night.
- What do you need vs what do you want. Sort these things out. Prioritize!
Questions to ask yourself:
- How many people will be living in the home? Are your children older or younger?
- Do you entertain a lot?
- How much do you use your kitchen? Do you have conversation with others while working in the kitchen?
- Do you spend your time in the bedroom or in the common living areas?
- Do you spend a lot of time in outdoor living areas? Porches? Patios? Decks?
- How much storage do you need?
Once you have looked at the realities and combined that with your answers to the questions above you are ready to sit down with your new home builder and start choosing the size and design of your new home
Keep in mind that how spacious a new home feels is not all about the living area square footage. Higher ceilings or vaults can give you the feel of a much more spacious and large home at a fraction of the cost of living area square footage.
Browse our floorplans